Today Dr. Devin talks about your amazing spine and some of the functions that it is responsible for. Welcome to Dr. Devin’s Wellness Wednesday Workshop where my goal is to help you maintain or improve your active lifestyle. We will answer these questions today:
- How many movable vertebrae are in your spine?
- How many curves should you have in your lower back?
- What are the 2 main jobs of the spine?
- If you have a problem in the upper neck (C1), what conditions could you be suffering from?
- T1 is responsible for what 2 major organs?
- What sport must be started at a very young age so the forming spine can be permanently deformed to compete?
- Which vertebrae is the main one responsible for sciatica?
- How many years does it take between each of the phases of degeneration?
- Is my main concern pain?
(Answers below the video 😉)
- 7 in the neck (Cervical Spine)
- 12 in the mid back where the ribs are attached (Thoracic Spine)
- 5 in the lower back (Lumbar Spine)
- Protection of the spinal cord and motion
- C1 – headaches and high blood pressure
- T1 – heart and lungs
- L4 – it also controls digestion and the male genitalia
- 20 years from normal to Phase 1
- 20 years from Phase 1 to Phase 2
- 20 years from Phase 2 to Phase 3
- No. While I am very concerned about how your pain is effecting you. My main concern is restoring the function of your spine so that you can not only feel better, but also heal better.