Today we discuss the criminals in the pharmaceutical world and how they’re trying to control your health. Welcome to Dr. Devin’s Wellness Wednesday Workshop where my goal is to help you maintain or improve your active lifestyle. We will answer these questions today:
- What caused the opioid crisis?
- When are medications recalled by the FDA?
- What political party does the pharmaceutical industry support?
- What networks share board members with pharmaceutical boards?
- What are the only 2 countries on Earth that all prescription medications to be advertised?
- Where does the USA rank as far as health?
- What are the 2 things that the US medical system excels at?
(Answers below the video 😉)
- The opiod crisis began in the late 1990’s when the pharmaceutical industry lied to doctors about opiods not being addictive. In reality they knew that they are highly addictive and 118,000 people died in 2015 because of opioids.
- Medications are only recalled by the FDA after the FDA has cleared them as being both safe and effective. The FDA doesn’t do any research on its own, instead they rely on the research from the companies that look to make billion dollar profits when the medication is released and will only get million dollar fines if they lied to the FDA. See Vioxx.
- The pharmaceutical gives generously to both political parties so that no matter who wins…they win.
- As of 2009, CBS was the only network that did not have at least 1 board member that was also on the board of a pharmaceutical company.
- New Zealand and the United States of America are the only 2 countries that allow advertising of prescription medication. All other countries rely on Medical Doctors diagnosing patients and determining what the best course of action is for their health.
- The US was once a leader for healthcare and education — now it ranks 27th in the world. This represents a significant decline from 1990, when it ranked sixth.
- The US medical system excels at emergency services and 5 year cancer survival rates.